Dear Readers,
This post is directed to parents since they are the ones who select children's picture books for their children to read.
Every two weeks, I shall post a review of 2 children's picture books that I think are good reading for children.
Title: Madeline
Author: Ludwig Bemelmans
Publisher: Viking Press
Age Range: Grades 1-3
Summary: Madeline is the smallest girl in a girls' school of twelve, in Paris.The girls do everything alike and together. However, Madeline has the distinction of having her appendix out. The girls are envious, and they, at the end of the story, want to have their appendices out, too.
The story is illustrated by Ludwig Bemelmans. Beautiful, colorful scenes of Paris (Eiffel Tower, The Opera, The Church of the Sacre Coeur), adorn the pages. Many of the sentences rhyme. The story is quite suitable for the age range.
Title: Corduroy
Author: Don Freeman
Publisher: The Viking Press
Age Range: Grades k-2
Summary: This story is about a lonely, little stuffed bear named Corduroy who wants someone to love and care for him. When Lisa, a black girl, buys him in a department store (after saving enough money), Corduroy's wish comes true. She takes him home and sews a missing button on his overalls. "I've always wanted a friend," says Corduroy. "Me too," Lisa says, and she gives Corduroy a big hug.
Don Freeman, the author, is the illustrator. The pictures are colorful, delightful and very big. The story also teaches values. Corduroy is suitable for the age range.
Get hold of these books for your child. Both stories can be read aloud.
In two weeks, I shall post a story about cats, and another one about a fox.
Great reviews, Frankie! I look forward to reading about more of your recommended books for kids. My nephews love picture books and I'm always looking for the best ones to buy for them.
ReplyDelete