Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Occasions

Dear Readers,

Halloween is in a few days, and I am asking you to take your child in his/her Halloween costume, and have him/her select a picture book on this day. You can read the book to him. Does he know how Halloween came about? How was this tradition started? Reading about it will give the holiday more meaning to him.
He can then write about his trick or treating in a notebook, and he can keep a journal for writing about future experiences. Of course, this is aimed at the older child.

Anniversaries are an important part of life. My wife, Anna, and I renewed our 25th anniversary wedding vows at a special Mass on Sunday. After Mass, we celebrated this beautiful occasion with a hot lunch provided by O.L.A. WE had our family with us. At the end of the lunch, Monsignor O'Dwyer handed us a beautiful 25th anniversary certificate. WE felt special and very blessed that day.

Again, go to the library with your child. Get a book on anniversaries. Also, show him /her your wedding album. Explain the importance of anniversaries. These are family occasions. Other occasions are Baptisms, birthdays, Penance, Communion, Confirmation, and some day your little one will be married(weddings). There are picture books on all these topics. Ask the librarian.

I'm reminding you that families are important. Share your values with your children. Talk about them. Get books on them, and read them to your children. YOU are models for your children. Have them write in their journal about the things they do with you do as a family.

Your child will make many friends. Some will last through high school, and others will last through college. Still others will last a lifetime. I have a friend whom I went to college with, and we are still friends(40 years now.) I have another friend, who is like part of the family. She knew me since birth. We're still very good friends. My wife and I have such wonderful friends from my teaching days. We're friends now for almost 30 years.

There are many picture books about friendship in the library. Take your child there, and read, read, read.

The Fall is a good time of year to watch the changing of the leaves. There's a lot of color out there. Your child can draw, or write, about this special season.

My wife, Anna, and I will be going to Italy to celebrate our 25th.
When we return, I'll share some of our adventures with you. In the meantime, see if you can get some picture books on Italy for your little one.

Have a great week. God bless.

Sincerely,

Ravenous Reader (a. k. a. Frankie)


No comments:

Post a Comment