Dear Readers,
Below is a partial listing of books your child should have in his/her collection:
Bambi
Cinderella
Pinocchio
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Goldilocks and the Three Bears
The Three Little Pigs
Aladdin
The Night Before Christmas
The Ugly Duckling
Sleeping Beauty
Little Red Riding Hood
Jack and the Beanstalk
These books are a joy to read, and they will make your child keep on reading.
Tomorrow is Columbus Day. Have your child read about his travels. Do you know the names of his three ships? Ask your child.
The following are two books I recommend for your child:
Title: I'm Gonna Like Me
Author: Jamie Lee Curtis and Laura Cornell
Publisher: Joanna Cotler Books( Harper Collins)
Age Range: 4-8
Summary:
I'm Gonna Like Me is written in rhyme. It has huge, colorful illustrations.
It's about a boy and a girl with a lot of self-esteem.
The ending is as follows:
"I'm gonna like me. I already do. But enough about me--- HOW
ABOUT YOU?"
I selected, as the second book,
Title: FANCY NANCY
Author: Jane O'Connor
Publisher: Harper Collins
Age Range: 4-7
Summary:
FANCY NANCY is a girl who likes to use fancy or big
words, such as fuchsia for purple, plume for feather, stupendous for great, tiara, accessories, chauffeur for driver,
parfait and dressing gown for bathrobe.
In the end, she says, "I love you" to her parents because she feels there is no fancy way to express that.
A lot goes on each page. The illustrations are big and beautiful, or should I say, "grandiose." Not more than 2 or 3 lines cover the page.
I'M GONNA LIKE ME and FANCY NANCY are two books worth reading.
I not only read children's picture books, but I also watch children's programming. Have your young children watch CLIFFORD, THE BIG, RED DOG, DRAGON TALES,
MAYA AND MIGUEL, BABAR THE ELEPHANT, B.G., and my favorite, MARVIN, THE TAP-DANCING HORSE. These are all educational shows to watch.
Remember, today's password is: Read.
Enjoy Columbus Day, tomorrow. Name those ships.
God bless.
Sincerely,
Ravenous Reader (a.k.a.Frankie)
No comments:
Post a Comment