Monday, January 24, 2011

Snow, videos and books on snow

Dear Readers,

"Snow, snow, snow," is the song Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye and Rosemary Clooney sing in the movie, WHITE CHRISTMAS. If the snow and this wintry weather get you down, rent the movie and see it. You would feel better afterwards.

My wife and I are tired of the snow, too. Another good movie to rent is IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE, starring Henry Fonda and Donna Reed. This is a feel-good movie. Get it, if you don't have it already.

"A SNOWY DAY," written and illustrated by Ezra Jack Keats and published by Viking,
in 1962, is a good book to read to your child. Most likely, your child can look at the illustrations, understand them and read on his own. That's what we want for our children---WE WANT THEM TO READ ON THEIR OWN.

Just to let you know, I've been working months on writing a children's picture book. I started with the title, BIANCA, THE COW, and now I changed it to "TROUBLE IN THE BARN." I feel like I don't have the story completely right, yet. It's a story about the pigs, sheep and horses bullying Bianca, the cow, in the barn, her reactions to it and how she solves the problem.


I'm still not finished, and I am still revising. My deadline is Thursday night, since I'm attending the S.C.B.W.I. convention on Friday and Saturday at the Grand Hyatt Hotel, in N.Y. Publishers, editors and agents will be there to hear my story, as well as other writers, teachers, etc, from all over the country in a round-robin session. There are two sessions where you can read your story, and it is critiqued by ten writers and a publisher or agent or editor, each time.

Fourteen years, you read correctly, fourteen years, I've been writing different picture books and submitting them out to publishers, and I know that someday soon, I shall have my story published.

Have your child read books about the seasons, and have them write about topics that are familiar to them and that they are interested in.

They can write about WHITE CHRISTMAS, IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE, or A SNOWY DAY.

When you go shopping, do you have your child read the labels on the packages, or cereal boxes? This is reading, too.

Your child can also compare prices on items to be bought.

When you're crossing the street, have your child read the traffic signs.


I'll be working all this week on my story. Say a prayer for me.

Thanking you in advance,

God bless you.

Sincerely,
(Ravenous Reader- A.K.A. Frankie)

No comments:

Post a Comment